Monday, April 17, 2006

Junebug

I haven't seen this movie since a couple of months ago so forgive my best attempt to recall what I loved so much about it.

Junebug has got to be one of the best movies I have ever seen. I was deeply impressed by the directing, acting, subject matter, and sceenplay.
The movie is set in the South but I don't get an overall Southern feel to it--not that this would be a bad thing. Perhaps the reasons are: This is not a Southern movie, a movie about geography or culture. This is a movie about a family who happens to be "Southern." This being the case, the family does have many attributes of the South (or what I know of it), such as a strong sense of family and religion. I will cease talking about the South. I don't know enough.
There is a certain feel to the movie that seems almost depleted to an artistic pinch. This movie knew what it wanted to say and how it wanted to say it.
I felt that the story was very simple. There are no tricks, no magic ending, no magic shifts in character. The story seems to be about family being what it is and nothing more, about people being who they are and nothing else. But isn't this the clarity and majesty of humanity, we exist the best we can in the situations we find ourselves and somewhere in all of it there is a hope in the devestation, in the sadness, the stillness, the moments.
I wish I could say more but I have to leave the lab.

2 Comments:

Blogger Bryan Summers said...

I agree. I was blown away by Junebug. Another thing I noticed was Scott Wilson as the dad. I saw In Cold Blood, Year of the Quiet Sun and Junebug in the same month. I raved about the actor Scott Wilson in each one, not putting two and two together, they were all the same guy.
He is so good, that I can't believe I hadn't heard of him before.

12:04 AM  
Blogger Jordan said...

Junebug was great and my favorite musician, Will Oldham (AKA Bonnie Prince Billy) plays a small part in it. I also enjoyed the acting of Scott Wilson as well as the rest of the cast although I must admit that it was hard for me to get over my prejudice for that OC guy. I found him to be the weak link although he had some great scenes in the film. It seemed like he was kind of aware of the quirkiness and humor behind some of his scenes in a non-character kind of way if that makes sense.

But overall it was one of my favorite films of 2005

11:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home