Saturday, February 11, 2006

Before Sunset

Just finished watching, 'Before Sunset' and it is a beautiful movie. This is not to be confused by the Pierce Brosnan starrer - that one is called 'After the Sunset'. 'Before Sunset' is a magical and fragile film starring Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy and directed by Richard Linklater. The movie is a sequel to the 1995 movie 'Before Sunrise' and is set 9 years after the original story takes place.

I haven't seen 'Before Sunrise' and was afraid that I might miss something but 'Before Sunset' works beautifully on it's own. The story is tender, honest and has a gentle reality. What makes the movie work is the chemistry between the two leads. The whole movie is 2 talking heads but you can see so much happening with the characters in the short amount of time - the lies, the conceit, the love, the hurt, the pain, the hope. The movie clocks to about 75 minutes odd. It is a love story worth feeling for because the characters feel real.

Highly recommended watch.

4 Comments:

Blogger Bryan Summers said...

I'll give it a shot then. I haven't seen the first one either so I've been avoiding this one. But since you liked it as a stand alone, I'll check it out.

10:11 PM  
Blogger Jordan said...

I saw the first one and I liked it.

11:05 PM  
Blogger Jordan said...

richard linklater's an interesting director that seems to have his hand in a wide variety of distinct films. Bad News Bears to The Waking Life.

11:06 PM  
Blogger Drew said...

Before Sunrise is one of my favorite movies. I have seen it several times but recently I caught the end of it on TV and I was amazed at what I had missed before. There is real structure and character change revealed in the last act that I hadn't seen before. I was amazed at the tension I felt when the sunrise came and I knew they would have to part. I think Linklater is a genius at walking fine lines. (Even in The Badnews Bears) Before sunset is equally enthralling and actually quite a brilliant second act. It satisfies some the curiosities you are left with from the first film but it leaves you with more curiosities about new things. Linklater said he felt this was a story he could return to anytime, maybe 10 or 15 years from now with the same actors. I think that would be interesting in fact I know he is already filming a documentary one day out of a year about someone's life. The idea of compressing time down on film is interesting to me but then again that's kind of what film is about. I think he has been working on it for only six years now so it won't be out anytime soon.

2:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home