Saturday, February 11, 2006

Before Sunset

Just finished watching, 'Before Sunset' and it is a beautiful movie. This is not to be confused by the Pierce Brosnan starrer - that one is called 'After the Sunset'. 'Before Sunset' is a magical and fragile film starring Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy and directed by Richard Linklater. The movie is a sequel to the 1995 movie 'Before Sunrise' and is set 9 years after the original story takes place.

I haven't seen 'Before Sunrise' and was afraid that I might miss something but 'Before Sunset' works beautifully on it's own. The story is tender, honest and has a gentle reality. What makes the movie work is the chemistry between the two leads. The whole movie is 2 talking heads but you can see so much happening with the characters in the short amount of time - the lies, the conceit, the love, the hurt, the pain, the hope. The movie clocks to about 75 minutes odd. It is a love story worth feeling for because the characters feel real.

Highly recommended watch.

3 Comments:

Blogger Bryan Summers said...

I'll give it a shot then. I haven't seen the first one either so I've been avoiding this one. But since you liked it as a stand alone, I'll check it out.

10:11 PM  
Blogger Jordan said...

I saw the first one and I liked it.

11:05 PM  
Blogger Jordan said...

richard linklater's an interesting director that seems to have his hand in a wide variety of distinct films. Bad News Bears to The Waking Life.

11:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home