Saturday, March 10, 2007

The Killing Fields and Black Book

The Killing Fields

In Great Britain, the newspapers sometimes contain free DVDs. Since there are several national newspapers, each of them put in free stuff (posters, dvd's, coupons for books, stickers, etc.). Well a week ago The London Times offered free DVD's of The Killing Fields. I'd never seen it but I always wanted to.

1. It is really powerful.
2. It was made in the eighties so the music is very dated. It sounds computery. Usually this ruins a film for me, but for some reason it worked. And it usually only works in horror films like Day of the Dead, because the crappy music for some reason makes the movie even more creepy and surreal. And since The Killing Fields is kind of a horror film (not the make you jump because a Japanese girl is in the sink kind but the kind of movie that makes you feel horror) I think the music actually added to the dread.
3. Then they ruined it by playing "Imagine" by John Lennon at the very end. I hate that song. I hate, hate, hate that song. Yeah, John Lennon, if there was no country or religion and everybody lived for today, I'm pretty sure there would still be a lot of killing. I like his other songs though.


Black Book

I don't believe this has come out in the states yet. I tried to get a friend to see it with me, but he didn't want to because he was bored with WW2 movies. I don't blame him about that. I'm kind of bored with WW2 movies myself, but I'm glad I saw this one. It was WW2 in the same way Raiders of the Lost Ark is, not Saving Private Ryan (And for my money, Raiders of the lost Ark is twice the movie Private Ryan is.) This is a kick-butt adventure movie. It's nice when I can't tell the twists of a movie. And it is nice to actually be shocked by what happens. I admire this movie very much.

Buyer beware, it is a hard R.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I try to steer clear of anything by Paul Verhoeven. I don't think he'll be happy until he goes into snuff.

11:56 AM  
Blogger Bryan Summers said...

Yeah, I've heard he's really, really brutal. And Black Book is very, very brutal.

The only Paul Verhoeven movies I've seen are Robocop (which I loved as a teenager) and Hollowman which I walked out of. One because I was bored, and two because I was in the dollar theater on an afternoon sitting two rows behind a mother who brought her three children, all under five. I couldn't take the violence knowing that they were also watching it.

6:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home