Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Crash

One must have a heart of stone to read the death of little Nell without laughing.
---- Oscar Wilde

I know some people loved Crash. Maybe some people on this list. And I would agree that certain scenes were great. I loved Matt Dillon' s part. But I couldn't get over the scene where the Mexican dad gives his daughter, who's scared of gangs, a fairy designed bullet proof cloak.

As an audience, we know that she's going to get shot, so I don't think it works dramatically. But what kind of a dad would give his daughter that? My son is afraid of cars but I'm not about to give him an invisible car proof cloak. That would be just asking for him to play in the street.

Also I had a hard time believing in a world where every conflict takes twenty seconds before ethnic slurs are flying. Maybe it's like that in Los Angeles, but I doubt it.

This was my least favorite of the five films up for an academy award.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jordan said...

The thing about Crash for me was that it had some interesting moments, some good scenes, some cool character arcs - but overall I would never think of it as a Best Picture winner let alone nominee. I agree that the racial slurs were a little force. Racism is real but it felt written and not real in this one.

1:27 AM  
Blogger Benji said...

When I saw this in the theater, I wouldn't have guessed right off that it would be nominated much less win the oscar for best picture. I mean, the film is so preachy and set up. The only story withing that I really liked was the matt dillion and his partner(what's that guy's name?). Even that was a little contrived with the coincidence of rescuing that woman in the car wreck but it worked because his performance was so strong. He's a better actor than I gave him credit for.
I havn't see Brokeback Mountain as of yet but I get the feeling it was nominated more because it was the politically right thing to do, although i'm sure it was nicely done. It's no surprise really. The Academy seems to be more about politics than truly great content. I stopped taking them serious when Julia Roberts won for her role in Erin Brockovich over Ellen Burstyn(Requiem for a Dream). Give me a break. There was no comparison!

9:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home