Thursday, September 07, 2006

Nacho Libre

I loved Nacho Libre. Yes, loved. For me it fits in the category of movies where if you like the character played by the lead you'll like the movie, (e.g. Austin Powers and Anchorman). I thought Jack Black was hilarious as a Mexican. His accent fluctuated between Spanish, Italian, and even a kind of southern twang but it just added to it for me. I loved the look of the film and the Danny Elfman score as well. And Nacho Libre confirmed and strengthened my conviction that CG is most effectively used for comedy or when you don't know it's there or not at all.

I liked this one better than Napolean Dynamite because the Napolean character became hard for me to watch half way throught the movie. He's a hilarious character but he's also kind of a downer. Where as Jack Black's Ignacio is enthusiastic and ambitious and fun to watch.

I'm convinced that Hess is obsessed with weird, funny mouth expressions. Jack Black's were hilarious. His partner, Eskeleto's were a little forced sometimes. But Eskeleto was a fun character.

There were those Napoleanesque moments in the movie where Nacho says things like, "so anyways..." and things like that. It worked for me.
I also didn't mind when Jack Black sang his song and broke character because of the moment when he turns to the camera and sings, "Encarnacion." It took me back to the Novellas I heard on my mission. They totally sounded like that part of the song.

4 Comments:

Blogger Ben said...

i loved ramses

12:09 PM  
Blogger Bryan Summers said...

I saw this for the second time last night. It definitely played better the second time. I was able to forgive the stuff I hated, I enjoyed more the stuff I liked, and I could get into the weird rhythm of the thing.

I still prefer Napolean Dynomite but I think this is going to get a much better reputation in a few years.

I still wish that Jack Black hadn't farted so much. It takes a real funny fart joke to make me laugh. Otherwise it offends my sensibilities.

12:21 PM  
Blogger Brandon said...

It's still the best time I've had at the theater this year. Which isn't saying much, i guess since I've only seen three movies in the theater (Cars and Prairie Home Companion were the others, both of which I also enjoyed, but this is the one I want to see again the most).

8:36 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The corn in the eye. I laughed so hard. So bizarre, nice.

3:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home