Saturday, August 19, 2006

What I saw 8/15 - 8/28

This may be my new favorite review - right up there with Pauline Kael's review of Born on the Fourth of July. http://aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=24309 Be sure to read the talkback section where the director of the movie challenges Vern to a wrestling match.

Jackass: This is a perfect movie. Better than Citizen Kane.

Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang:

Heaven Can Wait: I wonder if it's possible for Ernst Lubitsch to make a bad movie. This movie has no plot, a mildly charming hero, no real jokes (although it's funny.) And yet I was entranced from beginning to end. My list of Lubitsch movies from favorite to least is To Be or Not To Be, The Shop Around the Corner, The Merry Widow, Trouble in Paradise, Ninotchka, and Heaven Can Wait.

Snakes on a Plane:

Caddyshack:

I Heart Huckabees: I liked this movie, although it tended to wear thin by the end. It reminded me of the jejune philisophical debates I used to have as an undergraduate. I suspect, although I'm not sure, having children knocks the desire to discuss these type of existential questions. I used to live for these kinds of questions but now . . . Remember that joke from childhood about bloody bones and dirty diapers? Remember that? This movie seems as removed from me as that joke. I hope that doesn't mean I'm shallow.

Poseiden: It's nice to see Kevin Dillon in movies again. Other than his character I was bored.

In theaters next week I can't wait to see The Wicker Man remake. I love Neil Labute and I love the original Wicker Man. I also want to see Crank. And The Illusionist. But I'll see The Wicker Man before all of the others.

2 Comments:

Blogger Brandon said...

I agree with all your comments about Lubitsch, although I've only seen your two favorites. I need to get to some of those others soon.

I also felt the same about Huckabees. Seems like something I would've liked in high school, but didn't do anything for me now.

Wait, wait. No comment about Snakes on a Plane? That was the most anticipated summer film among my students, and yet most of them didn't actually end up seeing it. I guess even though every summer movie tries to cater to the teenage boy crowd, if that's your ONLY audience it's not going to do so well.

9:17 PM  
Blogger Bryan Summers said...

Snakes on a Plane - yeah it was pretty good. Not as good as Slither but I kind of like it. I think they made a mistake not releasing it pg-13. It's a film for teenagers. But yeah it was pretty fun.

7:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home