Monday, July 24, 2006

Movies I saw last week

From favorite to least favorite. This was a pretty good week for movies. I didn't hate any of them. I loved the first four and the last four, on the whole, I liked more than disliked. The last three I don't have a desire to see again but I'm glad I saw them the first time.

Tristram Shandy: I think it was Shel Silverstein who said that some movies make you want to hug yourself. He's right and Tristram Shandy does. If you like Spinal Tap, Christopher Guest movies or The Office, then you'll love this movie. (Steve Coogan and Rob Bryden are two of the funniest men alive. Their commentary track was a real laugh.)

Brick: I have nothing to say about this movie. Except that it almost ties Tristram Shandy for best movie of the week.

The Saddest Music in the World: I concur with Jordan.

Tombstone: This film I loved. It would probably rate higher in the week, except for a few scenes that made my teeth ache. 1. Kurt Russel standing in the rain yelling, "I HURT INSIDE" or something like that, I can't remember, it's been four days. C'mon Wyat Earp. Keep it together. 2. I hated, hated, hated Val Kilmer's death scene. I liked him when he was insolently killing outlaws. I knew he was going to die so why didn't the screenwriters let him die with dignity. Off screen. Instead of laying in bed talking about how he wished he'd married his cousin. Look, I had a crush on my cousin at one time also. But I got over it. That's what grown ups do. They are supposed to be embarrassed by their youthful degenerecies. And you can bet when I'm on my deathbed, I'll be talking about something else.but the good stuff in thee movie is so good, that I'm going to forget about those scenes.

It's Always Fair Weather: It doesn't work, but well worth seeing for Gene Kelly's tap dance on roller skates. Jaw dropping.

Welcome to Sarejevo: Pretty good, and after seeing Tristram Shandy I want to see everything directed by Michael Winterbottom, but this felt like eating vegetables. It was good for me but not very interesting.

Lady in the Water: It was better than The Village. At least the characters made jokes and used contractions in their speech. But I couldn't get past the back story, it just seemed so random and silly. My wife loved it though, so I don't want to discourage anybody from going. I think for some people it will be a fun and profound time at the theater. For me, it wasn't. (BTW, I loved Sixth Sense, Unbreakable and Signs.) (I have a lot of nitpicky comments about this movie, but I'll save those for the comments, if there becomes a debate in the comments section. And boy do I think this movie will be debated. Otherwise I'll keep them to myself.)

Tales From the Gimli Hospital: This was pretty good for the type of surreal movie it was, but I have about a twenty minute attention span for surrealness. Un Chien Andula was the perfect length. Any longer and it would have been unbearable. Gimli Hospital was just too long for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home