Wednesday, July 19, 2006

My top 3 westerns:

1. The Cowboys: This is John Waynes best movie. Even those that aren't John Wayne fans tend to like this one. It is a wonderful adventure story filled with great characters and a strong moral theme about the value of hard work. It is all around just a fun movie for everybody to watch. It made me want to be a cowboy.

2. For a Few Dollars More: Although I dearly love The Good, The Bad and The Ugly I find that I am more entertained by For a Few Dollars More. The things that really stand out are: it is shorter, the bad guy is really cool, and the story takes a number of unexpected turns. I love the show down between Lee Van Cleef and Clint Eastwood and the show down at the end with the watch chimes is really great.

3. Big Country: The movie is about the strength of character and self-respect and who better to show us than Gregory Peck. There are lot of great scenes between Gregory Peck and Charlton Heston and even more with just Gregory Peck. This is the kind of movie I wish I could see again for the first time because I enjoyed myself so much.

Other westerns I considered but didn't make the cut: Unforgiven (a little to depressing to be top 3 but definately top 5), My Name is Nobody (a little hoaky but a lot of fun), Tombstone (Doc Holiday is great, but I hate the female lead and scene where Wyatt starts yelling No! and he gets up and runs into the gunfire but doesn't get shot.) High Noon (Gary Cooper and Grace Kelly...Yes)

2 Comments:

Blogger wes said...

Great list Seth, some quality films. I love me some westerns.

My list goes.
1. The Good the Bad the Ugly
2. The Magnificent Seven, I am probably in the minority here but I liked the Mag far better than I liked Samurai, Steve McQueen is my hero, and yul is awesome also.
3. Open Range, if you haven't seen this flick rent it tomorrow it is Cosner's best role and Duvall is brilliant too.

I also love Tombstone, and Unforgiven, and Pale Rider, Two Mules for Sister Sara, And the Outlaw Josie Wales

9:41 PM  
Blogger Bryan Summers said...

I haven't seen any of these three so I'll check them out this month.

My list goes:

1. Rio Bravo: I saw this at BYU to a packed house and it played like gangbusters. I hadn't heard an audience laugh so much since Jackass. Also in the scary parts there was audible gasps. Probably my number one theater going experience. I left the theater feeling lightheaded.
I read an essay by a John Wayne hater that said she never realized how sexy he was until after seeing this movie.

2. Winchester '73: Yes, Jimmy Stewart is the biggest bad-rump in westerns. Tougher than John Wayne mixed with Clint Eastwood. I think Anthony Mann is the best director of westerns.

3. My Darling Clementine: This is a great western anyways, but what puts it over the top is the scene where the bad guys force the Shakesperean actor to perform.
It's the only John Ford film I've truly loved.

10:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home