Monday, July 17, 2006

Movies I saw this week

From favorite to least favorite:
Play Misty For Me: It is my goal to see every movie Clint Eastwood directed. This was so good and so scary that I'm surprised I haven't heard of it more. I really recommend it. Also the psycho girl friend is the mother on Arrested Development. She was really pretty.
Manhunter: Who is the better Hannibal Lector? Brian Cox is more realistic and a little more scary. Anthony Hopkins is more hammy and a little more fun. I don't know. I like them both. I did like Manhunter more than Red Dragon. Michael Mann might be one of my favorite directors.
Libertine: I almost didn't see this because the trailers made it seem like a worshipful biography. "He dared to blah, blah, blah. He changed a nation." But it was nothing like that. It was a real good biography about a man who chased pleasure above all else, and the cost to himself and his family. (Now I've made it sound like a morality tale, but it's not at all.) I'm curious if he's really a good writer in real life? We see a play he wrote that seems to consist of nothing but references to dildos. The cast members even pass them out to the audience. ANd at one point a midget enters the stage riding on a giant dildo. Not a very good play really. It was kind of funny how the Earl of Rochester takes it all so seriously.
Hostel: If you don't like this kind of movie, not worth it. If you don't like this kind of movie but went and saw Devil's Rejects based on Roger Ebert's review, and really, really liked it, (like I did) then this movie is pretty good. One scene with an American business man is brilliant. So if this is your kind of thing, (Think Straw Dogs but less disturbing,) it's pretty good. (Be warned though, the characters are really obnoxious for the first thirty minutes. I wanted to kill them myself.)
My Pal Trigger: I've never seen a Roy Rogers movie I haven't liked. If you want to see how he got Trigger, this is a good one.
The Fog (John Carpenter): It was okay. Not as good as Halloween, The Thing or Big Trouble in Little China but I'm not going to complain.
The Matador: This was okay also. Pierce Brosnin was funny. I just wish they wouldn't have held crucial plot points from the audience just so we'd be surprised. One of my pet peeves.
Pirates of the Carribean: Dead Man's Chest: Remember that moment in the first movie where Jack Sparrow escapes the British guys by twirling around on a high up thing, and he's being shot at from below, and he's twirling a little too fast and there's a look of panic on his face? It was near the beginning.
I never once felt any such chaos or danger in this one. Except for the very end. It's a so-so movie that I doubt I'll watch again. I will be seeing the sequel though.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw the matador and I agree completely with what you said. The movie was kind of funny and Brosnin was pretty good but on the whole the movie was not that memorable and I don't really care if I see it agian. I saw Play Misty for Me a long time ago and I remember really liking it however, I remember hardly anything about it. Clint Eastwood is a fantastic director. And I have to agree that Michael Mann is one of my favorite directors. I am ぶちょ excited to see Miami Vice.

2:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home