Monday, September 25, 2006

What I saw 8/29 - 9/25

This will be quick. No big explanations on how I felt. Although a couple of films probably deserve a little more debate.

In order of favorite.
United 93: A classic. Just as gripping as the first time I saw it.
The Wicker Man (2006): I'm glad I saw it before the reviews came out cause I would have skipped it. I'm surprised how much everyone hates this movie. I loved it. It creeped me out more than the first one. When everybody says this movie was really cool, I want it on record that I said it first.
Tsotsi: Deserved to win the oscar for best foreign film. Held a big punch.
X-Men 3
Nacho Libre
Roadhouse
Grandma's Boy
Crank:
The Illusionist
Scary Movie 4: Pretty good for the type of movie it is. I just don't care for this type of movie.
Little Miss Sunshine: I hated, hated, hated, hated this movie. I found the ending to be unbearably creepy. Good acting but what I schmaltzfest.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like Little Miss Sunshine. The acting was great. I thought that this was Steve Carells best work. In addition to the acting I thought that story itself was quite good although depressing and horribly uncomfortable at times. I thought the way the characters were developed was excellent. I knew what each character wanted, what their goals were and how they were going for that goal. I also thought that the movie was quite a good commentary on beauty pagent for kids SPOILER(who dance was the more suggustive, Olives or the other girls? Yet it was Olive everybody was shocked by.) Also the way we raise our kids was a key. Everybody was so focused on their own failures that they kind of took it out on Olive. That is until they realized what they were doing. I think everybody learned something by the end. So when it ended I was happy. I thought it was quite good.

7:25 PM  
Blogger Bryan Summers said...

What I found creepy about the end was that the grandpa taught the dance to his daughter. There was a moment earlier in the movie where the grandpa and girl were growling at each other and I kept thinking - man this is weird, if this weren't a movie I wouldn't trust this grandpa for a second (and not because of the heroin. Only because of the growl.) and then at the end - ugh.

And I thought the fact that I knew each character's goal was a problem. They were too defined by their goal. I didn't see the chaos of normal life.

But I realize I'm probably wrong since everyone I know loves this movie and hates The Wicker Man.

My favorite Steve Carroll performance is in the Office, followed by 40 Year Old Virgin.

5:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home