Thursday, June 21, 2007

My Recent Viewings

Hey Kids,

It's been a while since I've posted anything here. I've been watching a whole lotta sweet stuff, though. Here we go:

Lacombe, Lucien by Louis Malle. I'd never heard of this film when I saw it at the Orem library, but it's on Criterion and M. Malle is pretty highly regarded, and I loved his Au Revoir Les Enfants. This one is very bizarre. There's something about great French directors. Their films are so fascinating and brilliant and yet so boring at the same time. Truffaut, Godard, Renoir, Bresson. I love all these guys and their films are fascinating, but they just don't give a crap about telling a compelling story. That's how this one was. It's about this teenage kid named Lucien, who is kind of a troublemaker and wants to join the French Resistance. But they don't want him, cuz they've got enough punk troublemakers, so what does he do? He joins the Gestapo instead. Really interesting material. But Lucien is such a creep. Reminiscent of Kit in Badlands, I guess, but without the humor.

The House on Haunted Hill by... who cares, but it stars Vincent Price. Ultimately unsatisfying, but some pretty sweet stuff going on in the beginning with Vincent Price's face superimposed above a shot of the mansion while he talks to us. And some interesting things with ghosts and stuff. Kind of like a live action scooby-doo movie.

Danielson: A Family Movie by... don't know, but it features cameo's from both Sufjan Stevens and Daniel Johnson. This is about Daniel Smith and the band he started with his siblings and how they dress up in doctor and nurse uniforms to symbolize the healing power of Christ. My favorite quote, from a long haired audience member: "They freaked me out. I'm in a metal band myself, so I'm not easily freaked out, but they f---in' freaked me out." It's a great film, with some fun animated sequences, and interesting interviews with each band member.

Riding Giants by Stacy Peralta. Really fun, with some amazing surfing footage. The interviewees are all really interesting guys, and the structure and music are tight.

That's all I've got time for now, maybe we'll backtrack later.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the band Danielson. I'll have to check out that doc.

12:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home