Sunday, February 12, 2006

Point Blank

I love Lee Marvin.
While watching this, my co-worker said, "Man, that guy's ugly." And I suppose he's right. His nostril's stick up and he's got a real narrow face. But in a movie about an amoral killer just trying to get back his 93,000 dollars, I don't necessarily want James Franco.
I want someone who looks like he's killed before and he'd kill again, not because he wants to but because he needs his 93,000 back.

I didn't even know he was ugly until my co-worker pointed out the fact. Because he's got something that makes his ugliness really appealing. The same way Charles Bronson did. Ugliness is the wrong word. They've got bodies that look used.

This was remade with Mel Gibson in Payback. It's the same basic story except this is a little more artsy. This is a great revenge movie that does some interesting things with non-linear time. The DVD has a commentary with Steven Soderbergh and the director John Boorman. Steven Soderbergh says that he's stolen from this movie countless times. So if you're interested in his influences then this is a good movie to watch. I give it three out of four stars.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jordan said...

I too share an affinity for Mr. Lee Marvin. I haven't yet seen Point Blank but plan on it soon. Marvin's also great in the film - "The Killers."

And while we're on the topic of tough ugly guys that we like to watch being tough and ugly, there's always Sterling Hayden in Stanley Kubrick's, "The Killing."

"The Killers." and "The Killling."
Great titles if you ask me.

11:09 PM  
Blogger Jordan said...

great epic car chase in bullit but i found the film to be a little slow.

11:32 PM  
Blogger Bryan Summers said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:54 AM  
Blogger Bryan Summers said...

Isn't the Lee Marvin version of the Killers where Ronald Reagan slaps Angie Dickenson?
That was a good movie. (Not because I enjoy watching women get roughed up, but I must admit I got a kick out of seeing Ronald Reagan as the bad guy.)

12:55 AM  
Blogger Jordan said...

Ronald Reagan was pretty sweet as a bad guy.

1:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home