Sunday, April 16, 2006

Some films I've recently seen and South Park

Lucky Number Slevin
I liked this movie more than I disliked it. But not much more. It's fun and the acting is great but there is a very severe cheat. Oh well, I must be thankful for the movies it is rather than the movie I wish it was. Lucy Liu stole the show.

Saturday Night Fever
I thought this was going to be a light hearted poor kid makes good sort of story. Something like The Karate Kid or the one where the Jamacains bobsled. Nobody warned me about the mysogyny and gang rape. Still a good movie, I suppose, I just wasn't expecting the darkness. Another question, why in the seventies do a bunch of movies have rape scenes? In my opinion it makes the movies a lot less fun. Even when the rapist was a goofy looking Jeff Goldblum in Death Wish. And don't get me started on Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia.

Persona
A nurse watches over an actress at a beach house and then tries to scald the actress with a pot of boiling water. I didn't quite get this movie, but I was rarely bored, and I only muttered, "Screw this movie," a couple of times. So as far as artsy movies go it wasn't that bad. The problem might have been with me.

Pixote
This movie is too painful to watch again. It is about the slums of Brazil, like City of God. (Another movie that I can't bring myself to watch again. As a matter of fact I turned it off the first time because I was so appaled and angry by what a character does to a child.) All the child actors were illiterate street urchins. The main actor was shot by the police six years later at the age of sixteen.

South Park (Spoiler and something very 0ffensive. So please don't read the rest.)

-
-
-

Did anybody catch the last episode of South Park? It was a great defense of freedom of speech. Very powerful. They tried to show an image of Mohammed but Comedy Central wouldn't let them. Instead there was a black screen. The show ended with Jesus defecating on the American flag. (Trust me, it made sense in the story. it was a short film made by Muslims in retaliation for the showing of Mohammed.)

Was it Voiltare who said, "I disagree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it?"

Of course Comedy Central has the right to show or not show whatever they want, but it makes me wonder how many people would honestly defend to the death the right to free speech? The tepid response to the riots over the Mohammed cartoons in the Dutch newspaper would make me think, not many.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I liked Lucky Number Slevin too. It was not a great movie but it was pretty fun. I thought the timing in the movie was good and all the performances were good. Lucy Lui was charming and her outfits were well suited to her character (fashionable yet simple) I guess the director Paul McGuigan was a fashion photographer at one point ,thus the great costuming. And, although this will make me sound gay, I was pleased to see that Josh Hartnet was not totally ripped like Brad Pitt in his towel outfit. It helped the idea of him being just an unlucky guy. I have never really cared much for Josh Hartnet but I did like him in this movie. My main regret to the movie is that it is simply a story about revenge. Revenge is kind of boring to me, so I would have liked it to be a little complex. All in all a fun film.

4:32 PM  
Blogger Jordan said...

South Park gets props for leaving no stone unturned as they say. They go after EVERYONE. I read that their episode about Scientologists (aired last fall) brought threats of lawsuits and heavy intimidation to Paramount. So much so that Paramount promised not to air the show ever again and didn't air it in Europe. I guess Scientologists are known for going after people with huge law suits, for this reason The South Park episode credited everyone as John and Jane Smith.

(Fascinating article about Scientology in Rolling Stone magazine - the one with the Flying Tomato snow board guy on the cover).
You could probably read it online.

12:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home