Monday, May 29, 2006

BRICK

This film was great. Very enjoyable to watch. Well written, directed, and acted. Entertaining and original and refreshing. But I was skeptical when I read the premise - I wasn't too excited to see a high school noir.

Don't get me wrong I love high-school movies Better Off Dead, Three O'Clock High, Breakfast Club, Fast Times at Ridgemont - they're all classic. But I just felt that a noir set in high school would be too gimmicky and they wouldn't be able to pull it off.

Well they did pull it off and it's probably the most enjoyable theatre experience I've had this year.

For those Utahns in the group - it's currently playing at the Broadway in SLC.

1 Comments:

Blogger Schramer Films said...

When I went to see Brick at the Broadway Theater in SLC, I had high expectations based on my friends' reviews of the film and I left with mixed feelings. It could just be that I need to see it again to catch all the high school noir language.

I agree with Jordan about the film being original and enjoyable to watch. I loved the style of the film, the way everyone spoke, the cinematography and pacing was crafted in a way to match the style - contrasty and moody. The film in general was very intriguing and left me curious or wanting to watch it again.

That is a good thing, but the problem for me is that at times it becomes ridiculous and difficult for me to suspend my disbelief. Especially when I am reminded that practically all the characters are teenagers who seem to be renacting a high school dramatic play.

With that said, I do want to see it again in hopes of solidifying my opinion and because there is a sensational aspect to it that is hard to pinpoint with words, but better to describe as a mood or tone attached to the film. One thing is for sure - I enjoyed it much more than other films I've seen this summer.

2:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home