Thursday, May 11, 2006

The Man Who Laughs/ Faust/ Straw Dogs

The Man Who Laughs (1928, dir. Paul Leni, starring Conrad Veidt)
1. It has nudity. I didn't realize they allowed that back in silents.

2. It also has a wussy courtier stick his finger in a yawning man's mouth. I didn't realize anybody did that outside of my fifth grade class. I was delighted. That was the moment that the film went from great to genius. It is the best noncomedy silent film I've ever seen.

3. The hero's mouth was carved into a grin by gypsies when he was a child. In the opening scene the boy, with a scarf over his mouth to hide his grin, wanders through a snowstorm, and finds a frozen lady with a still alive child in her arms. It is one of the creepiest, saddest and most beautful scenes I've ever seen in a movie. Four out of four stars.

Faust (1926, dir. F.W. Murnau, starring Emil Jannings)

1. Also has nudity.

2. Two creepy scenes. When Faust first sees the devil and he's a wizened old man with shiny eyes and creepily polite. And also the scene where the plaugue hits the town. I liked the movie. I liked it alot.

Straw Dogs (1971, dir. Sam Peckinpah, starring Dustin Hoffman)
I told a friend I may be moving to Wales later this year. He told me to rent this film to see what I was getting into. Apperantly if the Welsh villagers invite me to go duck hunting, I should say no, since they'll get me out in the woods, tell me to sit in a meadow and wait for them to flush the ducks towards me. But really they plan on leaving me in the woods all day while they rape my wife.
Real mature guys, real mature. Maybe in Great Britain they find that joke funny, but I think a line's been crossed.
I try not to use the f-word in my reviews, and I won't start now, but this is the kind of sick and twisted movie that it would be appropriate . Wait, I've changed my mind. This movie is effed up.
Strangely, it is also a haunting movie, and perhaps a moral one. I don't know. Not one I'll watch again, though.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jordan said...

yes, straw dogs is disturbing. but i really like the picture on the cover of the dvd. the one with dustin hoffman staring blankly through his glasses that are shattered.

2:10 AM  
Blogger Bryan Summers said...

I want to see Pat Garret and Billy the Kid. Anybody seen that? I own the Bob Dillan soundtrack and listen to it all the time.

6:32 PM  
Blogger wes said...

I liked how effed up Straw Dogs was, not that I enjoyed seeing the brutality on Hoffie's wifey but when gets mid-evil on them later you never once think man he's over doing it basically it's just a version of Home Alone for grown up's

1:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home