Friday, April 21, 2006

Inside Man

I really didn't expect to like this movie. I didn't like the preview where Clive Owen is talking to the camera about how he created to perfect crime or whatever he was talking about. And I couldn't determine if he was doing an accent or not, which I guess is not a big deal but it frusterated me. And then it just seemed like another typical heist movie. But, I thought, 'it is directed by Spike Lee and he is a pretty good director'. Later I came to realize the only movie I have seen by Spike Lee is Do the Right Thing which I saw so long ago I remember nothing about it. None the less, I thought "well, this seems like a change from the ordinary for Spike Lee" so I decided to give it a chance, and I liked it. One of the things I liked about Inside Man was the use of framing and lighting to display different moods. When Clive Owen is on the screen he is often centered in the frame and the lighting is really subtle, however, when Denzel Washington is in frame he is usually framed to one side and the lighting is a little more chaotic. This was used to display the control maintain by Clive Owen and the continually changing situation surrounding Denzel Washingtion. I think this was a good idea and it was well executed. The performances were fine. Denzel Washington was kind of weak, I thought. I guess he did a pretty good job but he just seemed like Denzel Washington and I didn't really get into his character. I guess what I mean is his character didn't really bring anything new out of him and he wore his emotions on his sleaves. He was fine though. I really liked Clive Owen which I find interesting because for a lot of the movie his face is covered with a mask and when he wasn't wearing a mask he didn't display too much emotion. I guess this was why I liked his performance. I thought the editing was a little strange at first but I got used to it and thinking back I can't think of a better way of doing it. My main complaint about the movie is that I kept thinking that it was going to end but it didn't. I don't know if that is a valid complaint but that's how it is. And my last thought is, "has anybody else noticed that a lot of movies now days are about Jews?" I am not complaining, I am just wondering what the deal is. I guess they are becoming stylish.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jordan said...

I'm also excited to see this one. I haven't seen all of Spike Lee's movies but most of the ones I've seen I've liked a lot. My two favorite Spike Lee movies are Crooklyn and Malcom X. Crooklyn is a great family film - but not in the traditional "family film" sense so maybe don't watch it for FHE. Mixes elements of comedy/dram/nostalgia in a pleasing way. I think Malcom X is the best Biopic I've ever seen. I still haven't seen Walk The Line or Ghandi or Genghis Khan starring John Wayne as Genghis Khan.

11:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home