Sunday, April 30, 2006

Woodstock/United 93/Fun with Dick and Jane

Woodstock:
Some really good scenes. Especially a song about fathers and sons juxtaposed with footage of toddlers in the Woodstock audience.
If you don't care about hippies or hippy music (which I don't), this movie is going to try your patience a little, (there is a young hippy who breaks down crying cause she's sick of the festival. Looking at the sanitation and the number of people I don't blame her.) but it is more than worth it. What makes the film so good is the people they interview. Not just the hippies and musicians but the town's people. The most touching interview was the guy who cleaned the porta potties. He had a son in the audience and another son in Vietnam. I later learned he tried to sue the makers of the film on the grounds of mental anguish, embarrassement, public ridicule and invasion of privacy.

United 93:
I agree with every positive review. This movie is extrordinary. I haven't been this immersed in a movie since Kill Bill Vol. 1. I predict that it will win an oscar for best picture. It was better than all five nominations last year. And I don't think there will be a better movie this year.

Fun With Dick and Jane: (spoilers) My father-in-law lost his retirement pension when Enron collapsed, so I was moved by the last scenes of the movie. Unfortunately everything before it is morally bankrupt and offended my sensibilities. I just can't relate to a rich couple who lose their jobs and instead of working menial labor decide to rob small business and people at ATM's. They are thugs and bullies and they deserve to go to jail. But the last scene was pretty good.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I first heard that they were making a movie based on 9/11 I can't say that I was surprised but I can't say that I was interested at all either. When I heard that Paul Greengrass was directing the movie I became a little more interested because I kind of like his gritty style from Bloody Sunday and although Bourne Supremecy was a little to "hand held" for me I still enjoyed the movie. However, I wasn't planning on rushing out to see it. Now, after reading so many positive reviews and based upon Bryan's recommendation I am at last excited to see the movie. I think I will probably see it this weekend (although I have a free ticket to see MI3, so that might take precedence.) If I can I will see both.

8:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just saw United 93. It was remarkable. I was particularly facinated with all the air traffic control stuff because I deal with them everyday. Also, it was interesting for me to note how much aviation has changed since that day. This movie was done right. I shudder to think what it would have been like if Michael Bay or Peter Jackson got a hold of it.

1:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home