Monday, October 30, 2006

Halloween Films

Halloween has arrived again and according to my tradition I have searched the shelves of horror movies to find rare gems I haven't seen or newbies worthy of my top horror films list. Here are all the ones I've seen thus far (good and bad, old and young).

1. Eyes Without a Face - A B&W French film written by the guys who wrote Vertigo (the book). A chilling concept that implements suspense without the gore. Frightening at times, but other times seems dated and drags in areas.

2. Suspiria - Argento film. The film is highly atmospheric in its horror and succeeds in certain scenes not only through gross out moments but the anticipation. The scenes aren't connected well so the movie as a whole suffers.

3. Peeping Tom - Michael Powell film (British). One of my favorite from this batch. A psychological horror in the vein of Psycho. Good performances, deals with a horror that's present in our world - voyeurism.

4. Rosemary's Baby - Watched it again after a long time and enjoyed it even more this time. The script is so efficient and tight. Their is nothing disguised or hidden, which plays with the imbedded audience expectations with horror films.

5. Grudge 2 - Saw it in the theater. A startling film, but nothing too frightening. Like other Japanese horrors, it is very twisted and strange with some story, if you can comprehend it.

6. The Fly - Weirdly enough I hadn't seen this. Cronenberg's version. Another great horror film that definitely grosses out with the weird. But excellent themes and moral at the heart.

7. Village of the Damned - Carpenter version. I was disappointed with this one. Boring and fairly uneventful. But I have hope the original will be better.

8. Pulse - Japanese version. I started this one, but fell asleep. People say it takes awhile to get started, but I don't fall asleep in many films.

9. Silent Hill - Could have been good if the story had more substance rather than the atmosphere. Definitely disturbing in parts, so don't watch it alone.

That's it for now. More to come.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home