Monday, February 13, 2006

Dr. Zhivago

Omar Shariff has some great facial expressions.
This was one of those movies I knew I needed to see but have always avoided. Don't get me wrong, I like epic movies and I love David Lean's stuff. But an epic Romantic film isn't always that appealing (even if it is set against the backdrop of the Bolshevik revolution).

But I loved Dr. Zhivago. It has compelling characters, visually stunning scenes, and some really cool transitions (I'm a sucker for those old-school Hitchcockian transitions). Epic filmmakers of our day could really take something from Lean's stuff. This film in particular is very personal and deals with the characters in an intimate way yet manages to keep it's epic scope throughout.

Four out of Four stars.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jordan said...

yes i do recommend. i also liked 'bridge over river kawai' when i saw it some years ago and of course 'lawrence of arabia'. original ladykillers is great. have not seen oliver twist or great expectations yet but they are high on my list.

11:30 PM  
Blogger Bryan Summers said...

I saw Great Expectations. The first twenty minutes blew me away. It's done as a horror film. The rest is good to, but the first twenty minutes are amazing. I didn't realize David Lean did the original Ladykillers.

12:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home