Saturday, June 03, 2006

The Red Shoes, JFK

The Red Shoes: I'm sure we all agree that Top Secret is the best ballet movie ever. This might be the second best. I wasn't that excited to see this but since it is one of Martin Scorcese and Brian DePalma's favorite movies, I thought I'd give it a go.
It was great.
My only complaint is that since the twenty minute ballet sequence was so good, that other perfectly good movies had to copy it. Singing in the Rain and An American in Paris are wonderful movies except for the ballet scenes.

JFK: It started off powerfully, but at 3 and a half hours and so many conspiracies (really? the war lobby killed Martin Luther King Jr.?) I started to feel like I was trapped in a room with Timothy McVeigh.

2 Comments:

Blogger Brandon said...

Amen to The Red Shoes. It's pretty cool watching it along with Scorsese's commentary as well. I love listening to that guy talk about film. So articulate and passionate. I definitely need to see more Powell and Pressburger stuff, too. I've only seen this and Black Narcissus. Oh, and Peeping Tom, which is similar to our previous discussion of Cries and Whispers in creepiness.

8:44 PM  
Blogger Bryan Summers said...

I've only seen The Life and Death of Colonal Blimp. I loved it.

10:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home